This mini crown braid tutorial is quite simple and easiest to do on medium to long hair. If you are trying to grow your hair out, I bet you'll realize how long your hair really is after braiding it like this. If you have short hair then you may not be able to wrap your braids all the way around your head but it'll still work.
Here's what you need:
- bobby pins
- hair spray or dry shampoo (optional)
- elastic hair bands (optional)
As always, it's best to have slightly dirty hair so your braids stay in place and so you can easily attach pins into your hair. Here are some products you can use to give your hair that "dirty hair" texture.
1. Start with a small triangle section on one side of your middle part.
2. Split that small section into three smaller sections.
3. Start a normal three strand braid by taking the section that is closest to your middle part and bringing it under the middle section making it now the middle section. Now take the section closest to your forehead and bring it under the middle section.
4. You're now going to add hair to your three strand braid by taking a long section from your middle part to where your braid is laying. Add that hair into the section that is closest to your middle part.
5. Now take that whole section under the middle one making it the new middle. Next, take the section closest to your forehead and bring it under the middle section (you're not adding hair on this side). Now you will repeat steps 4 and 5 until you reach the end of your middle part (about 3 times).
6. After reaching the end of your middle part, you will continue braiding like normal without adding hair.
7. Once you absolutely can't braid that hair anymore, you can tie it off with a small elastic band or with a bobby pin.
8. Repeat the same braid on the other side and secure it at the end.
9. Wrap each braid around your head and pin the ends into the braid on the other side. Hide your pins and the ends of your hair by tucking them under the other braid. It might help to add some hairspray to the spot where you will pin the ends into to make sure the pins and braid stay in place.